Log In


Reset Password

Light fitting catches fire

FIREFIGHTERS were called to the Rebel Sports store in Peel Street late yesterday morning after a fluorescent light fitting in the centre of the store malfunctioned and caught fire.

Fire and Emergency NZ were called to the premises at around 10.40am.

“The shop staff contained the small fire with a dry powder extinguisher until we got there,” said Senior Station Officer Ed Hindmarsh.

“We used a dry powder extinguisher as well to put it out.” SSO Hindmarsh said there was potential damage to clothing in the store due to smoke and the dry powder.

“The store staff did everything right.

“They evacuated the building and attempted to put the fire out safely.”

The fire crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to help remove the smoke from the store.

“We also used a gas detector to ensure the store was safe to return to once the smoke had been cleared away.”

They were there for about an hour and a half.