Shelter belt blaze
SPARKS from a rubbish fire spread to involve part of a shelter belt on an orchard at Waerenga-a-Hika on Saturday morning.
Fire and Emergency NZ sent two appliances and a water tanker from the Gisborne brigade and rural fire units to the property at around 11.15am.
“The rubbish fire had been burning too close to the shelter belt,” a senior firefighter said.
“About 30 metres of the shelter belt burned and it took us about half-an-hour to put out.”
The rural crews stayed on longer to ensure the fire was out.