Jailed on multiple charges after Edison Street shooting
An Edison Street shooting incident has resulted in one man being jailed for 12 months, another pleading guilty to various charges and two others going to trial in October.
The person alleged to have shot a 21-year-old man during the January incident was not among those who appeared before Judge Michael Crosby in Gisborne District Court on Wednesday.
The police are still looking for him, Crown prosecutor Steve Manning said.
Triumph Haronga, 30, pleaded guilty earlier in the week to two counts of unlawful assembly and causing intentional damage.
All three charges arose from the Edison Street incident.
He was also sentenced on unrelated offences of driving while suspended for the third time or more, driving while suspended and breaching intensive supervision.
His 12-month jail term was made up of six months for the two counts of unlawful assembly, three months for driving while suspended and one month each for the other three offences.
Haronga was disqualified from driving for 18 months and the Crown could seek an unspecified amount of reparation.
Judge Crosby said Haronga was not the lead offender but those convicted must share joint responsibility.
Charlie Rewi McMinn, 30, pleaded guilty to unlawful assembly and possessing an offensive weapon, namely a baseball bat.
Counsel Vicky Thorpe said McMinn did not go to the incident with a weapon and did not know a firearm was present.
McMinn was further remanded on bail for sentencing on October 14.
Two other men — Dylan David Donnelly (59) and Glen Patrick Joseph Walsh (33) — face charges including unlawful assembly and threatening to kill.
The men were further remanded on bail to October 18 for trial.
The Herald was not able to publish details of Haronga and McMinn’s offending because of the upcoming trial.