Log In


Reset Password

Family flee as fire destroys Coast house

A family living in a house in Maraehara Road near Tikitiki fled in the early hours of yesterday morning when a fire broke out in their lounge.

Fire and Emergency NZ sent out crews from Tikitiki, Ruatoria, Hicks Bay and Te Araroa in response to a 111 call at around 3.15am.

“The family were woken by the sound of an explosion in the lounge room of their home,” a senior firefighter said.

“The mum and dad and their children, including a baby, all got out of the house OK.”

The house was fully involved when the first fire crew arrived.

“There was nothing we could do to save the house,” the senior firefighter said.

“The roof had already caved in when we got there. We put the fire out and dampened down the remains.”

The family spent the rest of the night at a neighbour's house and the Herald understands they have gone to stay with other whanau.

A fire investigator was called in yesterday.

Police said the cause was not suspicious and was most likely the result of an electrical fault.

In a post on the Te Araroa township Facebook page, a request was made for donations to help the family.

“Kia ora whanau . . . one of our local families sadly lost absolutely everything in a house fire,” the post reads.

“We are asking for some help with donations of money, clean clothing and kai please.”

The post went on to say “we have children who have nothing”, followed by a list of what they need.

“Thanks to the Te Araroa Four Square who have offered to hold all donations until they can be picked up and delivered to the whanau affected by this tragedy.”

The post said any help would be greatly appreciated.