Log In


Reset Password

Edison Street arson

Multiple Molotov cocktails thrown at house in Kaiti.

An attempt was made to set fire to a home in Edison Street in Kaiti last night, with several molotov cocktails thrown at an outside wall of the house.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand responded to a 111 call from the property off Cavendish Crescent at around 11.30pm.

The sole occupant of the house told police he heard a noise outside and went to investigate.

At the same time a neighbour across the road saw flames on the outside of the home and rushed over to help.

They used buckets of water to put out the fire.

“Paint on about three square metres of an outside wall on the front of the house was blistered and discoloured by the fire,” a senior firefighter said.

“It was started deliberately.”

The fire crew used thermal imaging gear to ensure the fire was out.

“Police were called and they have an inquiry under way.”

Detective Sergeant Wayne Beattie said police inquiries established the fire was attempted arson.

“A number of mototov cocktails were thrown at the house,” he said. “The motive has so far not been determined.

“We would like to hear from anyone who was in that area of the city last night and who may have seen some suspicious activity.

“It appears that more than one person was involved in this incident and a dark-coloured vehicle was seen leaving the scene.”

Det Sgt Beattie said police want to hear from anyone with information that could assist with their inquiry.

“The sole occupant of the house was not injured in the incident. He told us he has no idea about a motive for the attack.”

It was the first of two close-call fires in the city last night.

The second incident happened at around 1.30am at Captain Morgans restaurant at the beach end of Grey Street.

“A bread delivery driver had gone there to drop off bread supplies,” a senior firefighter said.

“When he went inside he found the building was smoke-logged, with a haze in the air, and he heard smoke alarms sounding.

“He immediately called 111.

“When we got inside we found a problem in a food preparation room out the back.

“Food particles on a mobile fat screen were smouldering.

“It was fortunate the bread delivery man arrived when he did, because if the smouldering food remains had caught fire the outcome could have been more serious.

“As it was, there was no damage to the premises.

“We were able to remove the burnt oil odour from the air inside the shop with a positive pressure ventilation system.”

File picture