Let’s ignore reckless calls to lift restrictions

Letter

Re: Lockdown fatigue being recognised, September 14 editorial.

I notice that some of the most vocal proponents of lifting public health measures are Pakeha business interests who lament the economic impacts of lockdowns and travel restrictions. When asked about the illness, death and fear ravaging all the other countries that lowered public health protections — especially for minorities and the poor — these anti-lockdown capitalists tend to talk out of both sides of the mouth; in one breath saying there are so few cases restrictions aren't necessary, and in the next saying there is no way to control Covid so why bother trying. In the end, their only consistent complaint is about economic impacts on their business interests. They assume the rest of us should share this concern.

Meanwhile, most of these privileged few and the people they know are vaccinated and eager to use their wealth to travel and to open New Zealand to foreign tourists.

This reckless attitude is reminiscent of 17th and 18th century Europeans who came to Polynesia and the Americas for the purpose of trade and profit, and who disregarded the known risks from the infectious diseases they carried with them. The resulting waves of epidemics caused 70-90 percent declines in indigenous populations, and then these same Europeans blamed all of this on the “inferiority” of those devastated communities and “dying races”. From the 1860s to 1960s, these facts were twisted into a white supremacist worldview cloaked in the fleece of Christian piety. These poisoned spiritual fruits of self-centred greed and lust for power were widely accepted by Europeans of the time, including those who colonised Aotearoa.

I wonder if generations will look back on our time and see that Covid health risks for Polynesians, the poor and those hesitant to accept the vaccine, risks that are a direct result of global travel and trade, were again explained away by double talk from impatient European businessmen and politicians — or will we refuse their reckless calls to lift restrictions and realise that those men's personal power and profit has always mattered far less than they insist it does? Time will tell.

Doug Smith

1. Ken Ovenden says:

Hi Doug, what a bloody great load of self pity that you proclaim upon yourself. Note your surname of Smith – just when did your ancestors arrive and what contribution to the “reckless attitude” did they make? And when do you decide that blame is on the “inferiority” of a race or community? Chill out and get a life.

1. Margaret linton says:

Exactly Ken, I agree.

Once every kiwi who wants to be vaccinated is fully vaccinated, we need to open our borders and resume a life as close to normal as is practicable.
    My friend who is a doctor in the Emergency Department at Waikato Hospital pointed out to me on Saturday that if 80% of New Zealanders are fully vaccinated there will still be one million New Zealanders who will probably catch Covid and potentially get very sick and perhaps die from it.
    We need to have a much higher vaccination rate than 80%!
    There is enough vaccine available to protect all of us right now. So those who still think it worth the risk of contracting Covid will just have to try and protect themselves as best they can.
    I have to assume that people who want to remain unvaccinated have a good plan to keep themselves and those around them safe from illness or death because of their life choice.
    It would be helpful if people like Brian Tamaki and the rest of the idiots who are spreading vaccine misinformation via Facebook etc would stick to their knitting (whatever that may be).
    So I am looking forward to a normal life again soon.

1. Stacey Trompf says:

Hi Lara. Do you know what the official death rate is? % wise. There are a lot of conflicting reports. Thanks.

Hi Stacey,
        I am sure you are well able to find out for yourself what the percentage death rate from Covid is. It’s not my job to educate you. You can read just as well as I can. Just read the research that has been peer reviewed and based on science would be my advice to you.
        At 80% of population vaccinated, NZ would likely see 1000 Covid deaths per year.
        It is worth remembering though that while 1000 people may die from Covid, many others will likely become very very sick, unable to work perhaps for quite a long time or suffer from Covid related complications.
        Having read other comments you have made on the topic of Covid, I believe you to be either vaccine hesitate or averse.
        If you are one of the people who choose to remain unvaccinated, I hope you too have a good plan in place to protect your own health and the health of others exposed to you if you get sick with Covid.
        Interestingly, health professionals are adamant that unvaccinated NZ ers will at some point contract Covid. It’s not a case of if but when. Take care out there.

1. Stacey says:

Thanks. Like I said there is an awful lot of conflicting information out there.
          I thought you must be a local health professional as you seem to know so much about it all.

Hi Stacey,
            I’m definitely not a health professional but when I was 25 I had viral pneumonia and passed out at home whilst caring for my children who were only babies at the time. I have been told that my 3 year old phoned for help because he couldn’t wake me up. I don’t remember any of that though.
            I woke up in hospital very very sick and struggling to breathe. I was drowning because of the fluid in my lungs. It was a terrible experience and and it took me months to recover. Covid pneumonia is like that, I would not wish anyone to catch Covid.
            So I have made it my business to learn as much as I can about Covid and how to protect myself and the people in my whanau from Covid.
            Take care everyone. This is serious stuff.

3. Gordon Webb says:

Are Maori and Pacific Island businesses not suffering because of the lockdown?

1. Peter Jones says:

The relevant Maori and Pacific Island businesses in our horticultural production spaces have gained “essential” status in Covidspeak.

4. Peter Jones says:

Generations will look back on our time and say that Doug and Lara both definitely drank the kool aid.
    I see them and raise them an ounce of common sense.
    Time will tell.

1. John Adams says:

An interesting assessment,

Fortunately we do not need ‘future’ generations to collate the facts to know that you have well and truly drunk the kool aid.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but did you not have an ‘anti 5g’ sign on your delautour road property?

2. Aimee Milne says:

If it’s Kool Aid that Lara and Doug are drinking, pass me a glass! It obviously increases intelligence, critical thinking and just plain sense.

5. PJREED says:

No need to play the race card. I think all good minded and sensible folk agree that all of us are in this together. Some Businessmen will always remind us of their point of view. This doesn’t mean the government and the majority of the population needs to strictly adhere to their needs. Lets all focus on doing our own part by, adhering to the rules, getting vaccinated, and reminding everyone that sick and dead people make very poor customers.
    PS really impressed with the attitude of most people I see, whether in the supermarket, at the beach, or wandering around the neighbourhood