Log In


Reset Password

Lucky escape for man installing new washing machine

A MAN at a house in Mangapapa had a lucky escape last night when he received an electric shock as he changed over the power plug for a washing machine in his home's laundry.

Fire and Emergency NZ and St John ambulance responded at about 7pm.

“He was installing a new washing machine in his laundry, and was electrocuted when he went to disconnect the old machine from a multiboard adjacent to it,” a senior firefighter said.

When the emergency personnel arrived they found the man was “physically able, alert and conscious.”

“He was badly shaken up though,” the senior firefighter said. “He was very lucky.”

The man, aged 55, was taken to Gisborne Hospital for a check up and after a period of assessment was discharged.

“The incident illustrates the care people have got to take with power appliances, especially in wet areas like the laundry, and there was water around at the time of last night's accident.”