Countdown changes hours, limits stock

'We are not running out of food'.

From today, Countdown Gisborne has changed its hours and will limit stock because of the continued level of demand in stores.

All Countdown stores, and online shopping services, will trade from 9am to 8pm across the country.

Countdown managing director Natalie Davis said the message to New Zealand remained the same — “We are not running out of food”.

“We have plenty of food in our supply chain, however we simply cannot get it through the network fast enough if Kiwis don't slow down their shopping. This is the only way we can try to manage demand,” she said.

From today, there is a limit of two similar items per customer visit across all Countdown stores and online shopping services, with the exception of produce and serviced deli.

1. Glennys Rutherfurd says:

My concern is I am retired and unable to walk due to an accident back in November last year. I have since then been so grateful for the online ordering.
    I was back in hospital last week, came home Thursday.
    I did my usual order online and find the checkout for online orders is closed till next Friday.
    Today I have been checking online for an opening every hour as I need to place an order, and so far nothing.
    Now due to Covid-19 my husband and I are in the group required to stay at home.
    In the past I could do online and have it the same day or next; it was my choice and has never a been problem.
    I understand and really feel for the stress this would be for Countdown management and staff.
    I just ask that those able please do so and allow us who are unable, and depend on online shopping, to be able to shop.

1. Sage says:

Where are you situated?

Footnote from Ed: Glennys is in Gisborne.

2. Shanti Land, Parahaki says:

We need to keep calm and positive heads on our shoulders, be considerate of one another and at the very least offer our smiles to those around us.

3. Gary says:

Can I help by getting your shopping? Call me on 0277101050. Cheers. Gary

2. denis says:

So what are your operating hours, duh!

3. Hedia Paaka, Timaru says:

I shop Countdown Timaru. It would be a lot fairer on shoppers if everyone keeps to the limit of items. The Hospice SC kitchen staff have found it impossible to get stuff for our clients. Luckily we have a kind community that donates food, vegetables etc. Thank you.

4. Cheryl Wilson, Taihape says:

Thank you Countdown. Hope Foodstuffs follows your lead. I have been in this industry for 27 years and have never experienced anything like it – abusive, arrogant and selfish customers make it very trying when we are just trying to get products on the shelves as quickly as possible.

5. Teena Murray, Manurewa East says:

The public are their own worst enemy. These changes have been forced upon the stores. We have a pandemic, not a famine. Why are people so ignorant? Weekend closures could happen, then what?
    Perhaps a structured timetable in all suburbs to stop people from shopping outside their area may also be necessary. Bombarding stores is going to create the spread. I believe even more needs to be done. And done now.

6. Tracy, Waikato says:

I understand this and agree to a certain degree. But my question I hold is what about us large families where x2 products is not going to feed us all? As I have five children and 2 adults living at home – my normal shop that I do every week is now giving me looks as though I’m stock piling – where I’m not. I have three teenagers who all eat a lot. How is this going to help the larger families?

7. Christina Wells, Dunedin says:

I am dairy and gluten intolerant.
    I shop at dn central for my unsweetened almond and soy milk once a week. I live in a rural area.
    So how many shelf life cartons of milk can I purchase?

1. Doug Smith, Tauranga says:

The same as 2 per customer

8. Char says:

It has been really good that Gisborne shoppers have settled down. There are some of us in the community who start work early mornings before supermarkets open and finish late as well. Most of the time we only have one day off. Even though we don’t provide as much as supermarkets, fruit are still food and essential. Thanks Gizzy!