Healthy, tasty but best of all quick!
I don’t know about you, but in these hot summer months, I can think of nothing worse than spending hours in the kitchen, cooking (slaving?) over a hot stove! Here are some recipes to get you in and out of the kitchen as quickly as possible, without foresaking good taste or nutrition.
Varieties of avocado are harvested in New Zealand at different times of the year, making them available all year round. Varieties grown in New Zealand include Hass, Reed, Fuerte and Carmen.
4 avocados, halved and pitted
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, halved
6 bocconcini, halved
1 tablespoon good-quality olive oil
Fresh basil leaves
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste.
1. Place the avocado halves on serving tray
2. Fill the avocados with tomatoes and bocconcini
3. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
4. Season with pepper and sprinkle fresh basil leaves over the salad.
Serves: 8 as a side| Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: None!
New Zealand nectarines are available from January to March. So now is the perfect time to enjoy them!
4 nectarines, halved and stones removed
4 apricots, halved and stones removed
Handful fresh mint
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
8 slices prosciutto
3 handfuls of lettuce
1. Grill fruit cut side down on the BBQ or a griddle pan for 5 minutes — or until they have softened and have charred lines
2. On a serving platter, place salad greens, then prosciutto slices, followed by grilled fruit and then top with pumpkin seeds and mint leaves
3. Squeeze lemon over the salad
4. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serves: 8 as a side| Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 5-10 minutes.
Available all year round.
3 bunches curly parsley, washed
1 cup cucumber, diced
1 cup tomato, diced
1/3 cup spring onions, finely chopped
½ cup bulgar
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of salt.
1. Heat a pot with water over medium heat and cook the bulgar for 10 minutes or according to the packet. Set aside to cool
2. Cut the stems off the parsley and chop finely
3. Place the parsley, cucumber, tomato and spring onions into a bowl with the cooled bulgar
4. In a small bowl mix the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic
5. Pour the lemon-juice mixture over the salad and let it soak in for 10 minutes
6. Serve immediately or chill salad for later.
Serves: 3-4| Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes.
— Pictures and recipes courtesy of www.5aday.co.nz