A bowl full of goodness
When it comes to a student diet some things can be left wanting — like nutrition — when money is tight. But twin sisters Sophie and Emily Martin have taken their love for food, cooking and cafés to print, with their book about balance, The Healthy Kiwi Student.
Olive oil for frying
1 x 450g block tofu
½ cup teriyaki sauce
2 x cups sushi rice
3 x cups water
sesame seeds (optional)
Carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, edamame beans, baby spinach, chopped cabbage, chopped broccoli, sliced avocado, dash of olive oil
1. Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan.
2. Slice tofu into cubes and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side until golden.
3. Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan and simmer for around 10 minutes.
4. While tofu is simmering, add sushi rice and water to a saucepan over a high heat. Boil, stirring regularly, for 10 minutes until soft. Drain well.
5. Prepare whatever veges you like.
6. Add all components to a bowl and top with sesame seeds if desired.
Makes/serves: 5 serves | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes Nutritional information: DF, RSF, V