Sunrise Citrus Salad
In this dish from Meatless Monday, tofu cubes are marinated in orange juice, maple syrup and cinnamon, then seared crisp on the stove. A macadamia vinaigrette dresses baby lettuces, while dried cranberries and pistachios provide a delicious flavour contrast in this satisfying citrus salad.
For the citrus seared tofu cubes:
2 cups firm or extra firm tofu, cubed
1 tablespoon orange juice
⅛ teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1½ teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
a few dashes cinnamon
1½ tablespoons safflower oil
pepper, to taste
For the macadamia vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons macadamia nut oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons agave nectar, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
To complete the Sunrise Citrus Salad:
⅓ cup avocado, diced
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt, to taste
2 cups spring mixed lettuce or baby spinach
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
½ grapefruit, peeled, deseeded and sliced
⅓ cup orange slices
1 cup short-grained brown rice, cooked
1 tablespoon pistachios.
To make the citrus seared tofu cubes:
• Squeeze the excess water out of the tofu cubes using your hands or a heavy-book lined with paper towels.
• Place the orange juice, orange zest, maple syrup and soy sauce together in a medium bowl. Season with the cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste. Soak the tofu cubes in the orange maple marinade for at least 1 hour.
• Place the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the marinated tofu cubes and cook for 2 minutes, or until 1 side is seared. Reserve the marinade.
• Flip the tofu cubes over using a spatula, add 2 tablespoons of the orange maple marinade to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
• Add the remaining orange maple marinade and cook another 1-2 minutes, or until the marinade reduces slightly. Transfer the tofu to a plate and sprinkle pepper over the top, if desired. Pour the reduced marinade over the tofu. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
• Whisk the macadamia nut oil, apple cider vinegar and agave nectar together in a small bowl. Season with pepper to taste, adding more agave nectar if desired. Set aside.
• Place the avocado in a small bowl and toss with the lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
• Divide the salad greens, cranberries, grapefruit, orange slices and cooked brown rice between 3 bowls. Dress each with the macadamia vinaigrette to taste. Top each with the lime avocado mixture, tofu cubes and pistachios. Enjoy!
• This recipe is from Kathy of Healthy. Happy. Life. for Meatless Monday. www.meatlessmonday.com
Total fat: 15.8g
Saturated fat: 2.1g
Total Carbs: 61.1g
Dietary Fibre: 4.8g