Not all bubbles are created equal. Rebecca Leader’s family are lucky to be locked down with a former chef who has been busy in the kitchen. When Rebecca realised the lockdown was coming, she made and froze 40 burritos to have easy meals available in no time (recipe to come soon). She also doubled her vegetable garden, using her own compost to fill it. Oh . . . and she’s brewing her own beer . . .
Here's Rebecca's yummy pesto recipe using fresh basil picked from the garden with the help of her grandson Harry.
The recipe makes about 750ml.
4L freshly-picked basil tips (if you just pick the tips it encourages the basil plants to become bushier)
½ cup toasted pinenuts
8 cloves of garlic
100g grated Parmesan cheese
Juice of one lemon
About 1 cup olive oil (the oil is what preserves the pesto and helps it to keep longer)
Salt and pepper to taste.
• Place garlic, pinenuts and Parmesan in about half the oil in a food processor and blend until chopped.
• Add the basil leaves and the lemon juice.
• Turn on food processor. Slowly add the rest of the oil. Blend to a pesto consistency.
• Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• Store in a jar in the fridge.
• Can be used with cheese, olives and crackers or tossed through pasta for a quick family meal.