Nan’s famous Christmas cake
Nan’s Christmas cake was such a hit last year, we’re publishing the recipe again — but this time, we’re making sure you have a few weeks to get organised to bake this magnificent festive treat.
450gm flour (3 cups)
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp salt
2 x 400g mixed fruit
1 400gm tin crushed pineapple
1 cup sugar
½ tsp baking soda
115gm golden syrup
¼ cup whisky (optional)
• Cover mixed fruit with pineapple and gently bring to boil
• Then add butter, sugar and syrup and stir till dissolved, cool
• Sift dry ingredients
• Beat eggs well and add to fruit
• Stir well
• Put in greased dish
• Heat oven to 180C (350F)
• Lower oven to 150C (300F) when cake goes in
• Cook for 1 hour
• Lower temp to 130C (250F) and cook for another 2-3 hours.
• Cover top if it gets too brown
Nan made seven mini-sized cakes and shortened the final cooking time.