I fear for this country: final column

by Clive Bibby

Clive Bibby

My guess is that my critics will have a field day if this final contribution to our local conversations makes it into print.

Some will seize on the opportunity to portray my comments as those of a poor loser.

Well, if they do then that’s their privilege but contrary to what they might think about me, l would like to offer my sincere congratulations to Isaac Hughes for his emphatic win in the by-election. He worked hard for his victory and deserves the opportunity to represent his constituency at the council table. I wish him well.

However, l must qualify that endorsement with a little bit of sage advice both to the council as a whole and the wider community, who seem to be either indifferent or oblivious to what is actually happening in our region and in other similar communities throughout the country.

Some of us are witnessing the loss of our individual sovereignty by stealth and if the Government has its way, this is only the beginning of a list of measures that will strip any offending clauses from current legislation that enable us common folk the right to respond to their undemocratic actions.

I refer of course to the nationwide movement to introduce separate Maori wards at local government level, which is likely to become entrenched with the removal of the opportunity to challenge council decisions through a referendum.

Minister Mahuta has publicly stated her intention to make changes to the legislation as a matter of priority.

In most districts where the Maori population is a minority, these moves represent apartheid in reverse.

We must ask what is the justification for these unnecessary, blatantly racist decisions.

Is it because, as some have claimed, that Maori have been denied equal access to the decision-makers, or to share in the opportunities available to every citizen in this country, or to benefit from the wealth generated by the nation’s producers?

In the community where l have lived, worked and contributed for the past 4O years, the opposite is true. The Maori population (a large majority in these rural wards) have been well served by their elected representatives, irrespective of the colour of their skin.

In fact, the evidence suggests that local and central governments over the years have probably responded more generously to the plight of low-decile communities on a per capita basis than to those constituents living in the larger metropolitan areas.

That is more than likely a more accurate reflection of the current state of race relations in this country.

It is clear from recent history that no politician would ever be elected at either local or central government level advocating a separatist policy such as the one they are trying to force on us — until now!

In my humble opinion, it is incumbent on every ratepayer concerned about this potential betrayal of our rights to resist this move in the only democratic way available to us. As a first step, we must sign the petition currently in circulation that has the capacity to force a citizens referendum.

Look for newspaper advertisements that will show where you can sign the petition before it is too late.

1. Gerald Stewart, Cambridge says:

Sign the petition before it is too late.
    Stuff newspapers won’t print the petition so we are pretty much stuffed already Clive. We have very much enjoyed your columns and hope you will keep up the fight against these far-left lowlifes.

1. Tony Lee says:

Lowlife: a person who exists by criminal activities or has a way of life that most people disapprove of.

Thanks Gerald, but why not be a bit more forthright in your distaste of the far-left, whoever they are.

2. Ken Ovenden says:

Clive, very well put, thank you. Perhaps the wrong person was elected. Please stand again.

3. Lloyd Gretton, Auckland says:

As my late mother would say ten years ago: “These days we just keep our heads down.” A new narrative has been shaped and a few individuals such as my humble self who picked up on it have been sidelined and ignored. We used to be abused for elitism, now white supremacy. Spengler had some things to say about that, but to quote Spengler would have had most Kiwis rolling on the carpet laughing.

4. Chris Ault, Auckland says:

Hi Clive. I totally agree, and have thought long and hard, and may have a workable solution. How about holding a binding referendum on MMP. I know it was done before but with what’s going on now, the country may well have a different attitude. I have no desire to live in a society where the tail wags the dog. That is morally undemocratic. With MMP gone we will then only have people in power who have a public mandate . . . . Surely that is a step in the right direction.

1. Turei Kaa says:

Well you will sign your petition, you will get the opportunity for your referendum, and you will gain a majority and win. That’s democracy, whatever that means. But what about the people who the seats were created for, will they vote? Nah. Why not? Because of their distrust of institutions. These people believe in kanohi ki te kanohi, look them in the eye – that is their culture, that is how they vote. So they can see if they have fork tongues. Go ahead and you can all pat yourselves on the back and piss in each others’ pockets and say yeah we got them uppity . . . .

1. Turei Kaa says:

Incidentally Clive, you have no right to make opinions for the people of Uawa. The vast majority of them would disagree with you about our councillors. They are as useful as an empty bottle of booze. I don’t know who you have been talking to.

5. Change Needed says:

Mr Bibby. You can not argue that the over representation of segments of our community in all of the negative social statistics suggests we’ve gotten it completely right to date. Change is confronting, especially as we get older, because it’s easier to do what we’ve always done, but at what cost? A country with an expanding welfare bill? Expanding prison populations full of, not necessarily bad people, but people with no other choices? Different results require different leaders and a different approach. Welcome to the change.

6. Leo Wolters says:

He is so totally correct. But how do we protest this. This is so wrong on many fronts. It needs to be stopped.

7. Kathryn Truscott, Wairarapa says:

More institutional racism I see. The democratic process is anathema to some Maori, and the drive to remove the right to protest and/or stop autocratic actions on the basis of race is unconscionable.

8. Clive Bibby says:

Kia Ora Turei
    We go a long way back, 40yrs in fact and I respect you and your family as people who have earned the right to be heard – no more so than now. But you deliberately misrepresent my position. I have never claimed to represent the opinions of my fellow Uawa citizens any more than you do. At least I still live here. My thoughts are entirely my own and I put them out there to share with others – just like you do. It’s a free country – at least it was!
    I simply reflect on the obvious which is that you along with all the rest of us living in this or any other ward have had the opportunity to vote for a legitimate candidate of our choice at each local body election during those 40yrs. Yet the candidate who won the contest, at least in this ward, has done so again and again with overwhelming support of the local voters.
    Surely that suggests a degree of satisfaction that is not reflected in your comments.
    And anyway Turei, you have always had the opportunity to put your name forward at each election in an effort to test your theory about local voter opinion.
    Wonder why you haven’t done so.

9. Jason Pearson, Pukekohe says:

The problem as I see it with this petition is that not all local newspapers are delivered weekly.
    I live in Pukekohe and we might have a paper delivered once a month, maybe once every two months.
    Is it possible for a link to be posted so we can share it via social media please.

10. Edwin Higginson, Auckland says:

“Silence is Acceptance” goes the old truism. Also, “For evil to prevail, all it takes is for good people to do NOTHING”! There is no point, or value, in complaining after the event. It will have zero effect on the outcome. A New Zealand [NOT “Aotearoa”!] wide BINDING REFERENDUM must make these decisions, not the local butcher, baker and candlestick maker! That is what “Government of the people, by the people and FOR the people” truly means. Not covert dictatorship, or by the minority. If we must refer to “Maori” as some separate citizens of New Zealand, they are more representative at Government level than their claimed percentage of the population actually is. Think about it, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!