Log In

Reset Password

Gisborne Covid-19 patient taken to hospital

The Gisborne man being treated for a confirmed case of Covid-19 has been hospitalised, it has been revealed today.

After the Ministry of Health revealed on Friday a case of Covid-19 had been confirmed in Gisborne, New Zealand's Director General of Health Ashley Bloomfield today told a press conference a case of Covid-19 is being treated at Gisborne Hospital.

Speaking to the Gisborne Herald, a Hauora Tairawhiti spokeswoman confirmed there were no new cases of COVID-19 in Tairawhiti.

"The one person diagnosed with COVID-19 in Tairawhiti was admitted to Gisborne Hospital yesterday.

"He is in complete isolation.

"Staff caring for him are wearing full Personal Protective equipment, including glasses, and taking every precaution."

The man was in a stable condition and hospital staff caring for people have been given advice on how to make sure they did not bring COVID-19 home.

"This includes leaving clothes and work shoes at the front door and having a shower straight away."

On Friday, Hauora Tairawhiti Medical Officer of Health Dr Osman Mansoor said everyone the man had been in contact with since his return to Gisborne from the United States was being followed up with but because he had been in self-isolation, the number was low.

"There is no evidence of community spread."

In a statement released by Gisborne District Council, Mayor Rehette Stoltz said the whole region’s thoughts were with the patient being treated.

“Thank you to our hospital staff for their selfless service to our community,” she said.

Civil Defence and Emergency Management Group Controller Dave Wilson urged local people to stay at home to halt the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

“We need all of your to do your part to save lives,” he said.

“Stay in your neighbourhood if you are out for a walk, otherwise, stay home. When you are out, keep your social distance.”

Dr Bloomfield told today's press conference there had been 76 new confirmed or probable cases in New Zealand overnight, taking the total number of cases to 589.

A total of 12 of those were being treated at hospitals in various places, including one in Gisborne.